Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Beginnings

Stormy winds tear through this little patch of forest, whipping through branches and ripping the last of autumn's leaves from the trees and sending them scurrying over the roof of the cottage. Inside, a small fire burns in the hearth and candles are set out against the dark fury outside.

I retreat into this small heart-room, this place of refuge, as the winds are moaning around the eaves outside. Here I am safe. Here, there are no lies to bind me, no trust broken, no confidences betrayed. Beside this small fire, cozy in a hand-crocheted blanket in my favorite chair, I build new dreams and set new goals. With the storm raging without, destroying the old and stripping things bare, I sit within and spin new beginnings, new rainbows to chase.

In the morning there will be damage to assess and repair, things to replace. It is always so with a powerful, passionate storm. It is always so with a storm of hurt and betrayal. But this time I have been sheltered and I will rise again.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment